Dear Physics Community,
I hope you all had a restful Thanksgiving Day yesterday.
Just after we sent last week’s message, we learned form Ike Chuang that Gabe Mintzer, ‘200, had been critically injured in a hit and run accident and had been unconscious for more than two weeks. Just yesterday, we heard form Karna Morey that Gabe had regained consciousness, which is very good news. His family is here in Boston to help Gabe with his recovery and they had his friends have set up a Give in Kind site here for anyone who wants to help. The Department wishes Gabe a speedy recovery.
Here’s the best thing about the present moment I’ve seen.
- on Thursday, December 2 at 4:00 pm in 10-250, just prior to the start of next week’s Colloquium talk, we will hold a short ceremony to recognize a number of our graduate students for awards they were named to at the end of spring 2021. We will be recognizing five students for achievements in teaching or research, and seven students for meritorious service to the Physics Department.We hope that many of you will choose to be present in 10-250 for this brief ceremony preceding the talk by Ana Maria Rey of JILA/NIST, which is being sponsored by our Graduate Womxn in Physics group, with Sarah Geller serving as individual host.
- Grateful for new GOAT: Scott Hughes
- Air Force Office of Scientific Research Talk 12/6 2-3 pm Harvard, details here
- Nonproliferation and National Security student opportunities at Brookhaven National Lab here
- Funding opportunity from the Open Research Association here